Add Your Heading Text Here
Sweet Potato Salad: Why do white potatoes always get the potato salad spotlight? Let’s get those sweet potatoes a chance to shine! Potato salad is such a perfect side dish for any occasion! Whether you have a crowd to feed or just a speedy weeknight side! This sweet potato salad is served cold, just like the classic, and full of sweet and savory notes with the delicious crunch and crisp add-ins!
why you’ll love this sweet potato salad recipe
This super easy (and quick!) recipe is loaded with healthy veggies, sunflower seeds, and even pops of cranberries! It has everything you want and nothing you don’t! It’s…
- Vegan & Vegetarian
- Allergy-free (Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free, Peanut-Free, Wheat-Free, Sesame-Free, Corn-Free, Coconut-Free)
- Paleo & Grain-Free
- No Added Sugar
- Only 7 Base Ingredients + 4 Ingredient Dressing
- Less Than 15 Minutes To Make
- Simple Side Dish or Make-Ahead for Cookouts & Potlucks
ingredients you need
- Sweet Potatoes: The star of the show! But here’s a time-saving hack! You can use frozen cubed sweet potato if you don’t want to peel, cube, and boil the spuds yourself! Grab a bag of frozen steamable sweet potatoes if you’re in a pinch!
- Celery: Celery adds a natural crisp crunch and saltiness to the salad.
- Dried Cranberries: An extra chewy pop of tart sweetness is a perfect complement to the natural sweetness of the potatoes! If you don’t want to use Craisins, you can swap them with Raisins or Currents!
- Red Onion: The savory flavor and aroma of red onion is perfect for just about every summer salad!
- Roasted Sunflower Seeds: This nut-free potato salad uses roasted sunflower seeds for a no-nut nuttiness! Make sure you use unsalted roasted seeds so you get the full sunflower flavor! Raw seeds are chewier and have less taste. If you can’t have sunflower, feel free to swap in pumpkin seeds!
- Scallion: For some extra green and umami, a few tablespoons of chopped scallions (green opinion) is delicious, but totally optional if you chose!
- Parsley: Fresh herbs should always be a must in cold salads! So much natural healthy flavor.
for the eggless mayo dressing:
- Vegan Mayo: The eggless mayo is the base of this tangy dressing! You can use my homemade recipe or your favorite store-bought vegan variety like Hellmann’s.
- Dijon Mustard: If you are making this salad vegan you can use dijon mustard, if not, you can use honey mustard for a delicious sweet addition!
- Vinegar: To add tanginess and thin out the mayo dressing, a splash of white vinegar is all you need! You can even use some apple cider vinegar.
- Seasonings: You can change up the extra spices and herbs to flavor this dressing to your preference. I used lemon zest, black pepper, and a pinch of salt!
how to make cold sweet potato salad
- Begin by prepping your ingredients! Boil, steam, or microwave your potatoes, chop your veggies, and mix together the mayo-mustard dressing.
- Add all your potato salad ingredients to a big mixing bowl, scoop in the dressing and mix well to combine!
- Chill the sweet potato salad until you’re ready to serve.
is it better to boil or steam the potatoes?
If you peel and cube whole sweet potatoes, you can add them to a pot of water on the stove and boil them just until tender for about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the cubes. Make sure you don’t overcook them and turn them into mush when you go to prepare your salad. Steaming the cubes of potatoes is best to reduce water-logging them. This can be done in a steamer or in the microwave. For ease, you can simply use frozen sweet potatoes and follow package instructions to cook them in the microwave.
how to store a cold sweet potato salad
You can store this potato salad in the fridge for about 7 days in a closed container. The recipe is great to make ahead of time or use for a simple meal-prepped side dish. It’s best served chilled or at room temperature. Since there is mayo (even though it’s vegan mayo), you need to keep leftovers cold!
what goes well with savory sweet potato salad?
The flavors already in this cold salad are a mix of sweet, savory, and umami. You can pair this healthy side dish with just about anything! From grilled chicken, salmon, veggie burgers, or eggplant steaks during the summer months, to holiday entrees like lentil loaves and whole roasted chicken during the winter months!